c u r r i c u l u m v i t a e
2004 -BFA with Honors, School of Art, Australian National University,
Informal Arts Education/Training
2013 - Digital Photography, Northwest Photographic Center, Seattle WA
2006 -Lienors Torre, cold working workshop, Pilchuck Glass School, WA
2003 - Jiri Harcuba, cold-working workshop, Pilchuck Glass School, WA
2020 - ‘A New State of Matter: Contemporary Glass’, Grand Rapids Art Museum.
2019 – ‘In the Space Separating’, Traver Gallery. Seattle, WA.
- ‘Drawn to Glass’, Schantz Gallery, Stockbridge, MA.
- ‘Salmon School Ambassadors’, Shack Art Center. Everrett, WA.
2018 – ‘A New State of Matter: Contemporary Glass’, Boise Art Museum, ID.
- ‘Portrait of an Ocean’ San Juan Islands Museum of Art, Friday Harbor WA
-‘Charlotte Potter and April Surgent: Cameo Glass in Context’ Curator: Vicki Halper. Wichita Art Museum, Wichita KS.
2017 – ‘Of Sea and Sky’, solo exhibition with catalog, Traver Gallery, Seattle WA
-‘Fired Up: Women in Glass’ Mint Museum, Charlotte, NC
2016 –‘Observations of Life on Ice’ solo exhibition, Museum of Northwest Art, WA
- ‘32°: The Art of Winter’, group exhibition, Shelburne Museum, VT
2015 – ‘Life on Ice’, solo exhibition Heller Gallery, NYC, NY.
-Art Miami, represented by Heller Gallery
2014 – ‘64° South’, Solo exhibition and catalog, Traver Gallery, Seattle, WA.
- SOFA Chicago, represented by Heller Gallery
-‘Focus, April Surgent’, Heller Gallery, NYC, NY.
2013 - ‘But Mostly Air’, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- ‘Australian Glass Now’, Traver Gallery, Seattle, WA.
-‘LINKS: Australian Glass and the Pacific Northwest’, Museum of Glass, Tacoma, WA
- SOFA Chicago, Heller Gallery, USA.
2012 - ‘April Surgent’ Solo exhibition, Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, VA
-‘Chromatic Fusion’, New Mexico Museum of Art, Santa Fe, NM
-’Fifty by Fifty: Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Studio Glass, Muskegon Museum of Art, Muskegon MI.
- ‘G8’, Winston Wachter Fine Art, Seattle, WA, USA.
-‘Images’, Group exhibition, Walter E. Terhune Gallery, Toledo, OH
2011 – SOFA Chicago, Bullseye Gallery, USA.
- “Into the Surface”, Bullseye Gallery, Portland USA.
- Art MRKT San Francisco, represented by Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR.
2010 – “Into the Surface”, solo exhibition, Bellevue Arts Museum, Bellevue WA.
- “Reflect”, Solo exhibition, Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR.
- “15 Years of Neddy Artist Fellows”, Tacoma Art Museum, WA.
- ‘Women in Glass’ Group show, Traver Gallery, Seattle, WA.
- Art Miami, Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR.
- COLLECT, Bullseye Gallery, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK.
2009 – “2009 Neddy Artist Fellowship”, Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, WA.
- Art Miami, represented by Bullseye Gallery
- “COLLECT”, with Bullseye Gallery, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK.
2008 – “Traces of Ourselves”, an exhibition and accompanying catalog, April Surgent and Jiri Harcuba, Bullseye gallery, Portland, Or.
- SOFA Chicago, represented by Bullseye Gallery, Chicago, IL
2007 – “COLLECT”, with Bullseye Gallery, Victoria Albert museum, London, UK.
2006 -“A Meandering Tale”, solo exhibition, The Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR
- “Painting with Light”, group show, Palos Verdes Art Center, CA
2005 -“Seeds of Light’ group show, School of Art Gallery, Canberra, Australia
-SOFA/Chicago, represented by Bullseye Gallery
2004 -“Emerging Artists 2004”, Tobin – Hewett Gallery, Louisville, KY
- “Intersection: The Canberra Connection”, Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR
Awards, Reviews & Publications
2017 – ‘October Galleries: Apocolypse Now’, Seattle Times exhibition review. October 10, 2017. Michael Upchurch.
2016 – United States Artist Ford Fellow.
2015 – Hauberg Fellow, Pilchuck Glass School, Seattle, WA
-‘Caught in the Act of Science’ American Art Collector #121, Susie Silbert,
- Museum of Glass visiting artist, 5-day hot-shop residency, Tacoma, WA
2014 – ‘Artists in Antarctica’ article, TIME for Kids, David Bjerklie
2013 – Artist in Resident at Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH, USA.
2012 – Museum of Glass visiting artist, 5-day hot-shop residency, Tacoma, USA.
2011 – ‘Artist Choice Award’, Tacoma Museum of Glass auction award, USA.
-‘April Surgent: Forging Relationships in Reflections’ Drawing Magazine. Summer, Naomi Ekperigin
2010 - New Talent Award, Urban Glass, New York, USA.
- Bellevue City Council grant, Bellevue, WA.
- 4Culture grant, Seattle WA.
2009 – Neddy Fellow, Behnke Foundation, Seattle, USA.
2008 – Artist in Residence, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
2005 - University Medal, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
2004 -Embassy of Spain Travelling Scholarship, Canberra, Australia
Fieldwork & Research
2019 – Research assistant Prince William Sound, AK. Unites States Geological Survey.
- Research assistant Cook Inlet, AK. Unites States Geological Survey.
2018 – Research assistant Cook Inlet, AK. United States Geological Survey.
2017/18 – Farallon winter research assistant and artist in residence. Point Blue Conservation and US Fish and Wildlife. Farallon Islands National Wildlife Refuge California.
2016 - Artist in Residence. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Hawaiian Monk Seal Research Program. Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.
2013 – Antarctic Artist and Writers Fellowship recipient. National Science Foundation. Palmer Station. Western Antarctic Peninsula.
2019 – ‘Wind Sweep’, Wichita Art Museum, Wichita, KS.
2018 – ‘Light on Water’, Wichita Art Museum, Wichita, KS.
2015 – ‘Sea Ice Moves in Spring’ Toledo Museum of Art acquisition, Toledo, OH
2013 – ‘The Valley’, Museum of Glass acquisition, Tacoma, WA.
2011 – ‘Days Gone By’ Ulster Museum acquisition, Belfast, Ireland.
2010 – “Jiri”, Corning Museum of Glass acquisition, Corning, NY
2008 – “Don’t Wait for Me”, Chrysler Museum acquisition, Norfolk, VA
-“But You Wont Look Back” Museum of Glass acquisition, Tacoma, WA
2004 -Australian National University Public Artwork Program, Canberra,
2012-2020 - Pilchuck Glass School Trustee
2017 - ‘Fired Up: Women in Glass’ Panelist moderated by Annie Carlano. Mint Museum, Charlotte, NC
2015 – ‘Icy Inspirations’ panelist moderated by Andrew Page, SOFA, Chicago.
-Engraving and Printing class, Instructor, Corning Studio, Corning, NY.
2014 – Presenter at SOFA, Chicago.
-Review panelist for NSF Antarctic Artist and Writer Program
2013 – Engraving and Printing class, Instructor, Corning Studio, Corning, NY.
2012 – Engraving class, teaching with Jiri Harcuba, Corning Studio, Corning, NY.
2011 – Engraving class, teaching with Jiri Harcuba, Pilchuck Glass School, WA
2010 – Meet the Artist lecture, Corning Museum of Glass, NY
- Panelist for: Jaraslava Brychtova, Woman in Glass Forum, Seattle, WA.
2009 – Lecture Tour, Presenting at eight Universities throughout the UK sponsored and organized by Bullseye Gallery, Portland, OR.
2008 – Co-instructor with Jiri Harcuba, North Lands Creative Glass, Scotland
- Engraving class, teaching with Jiri Harcuba, Pilchuck Glass School WA
COPYRIGHT © 2019 APRIL SURGENT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.